Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Best Survival Knife For the Money - Ontario RTAK II



The Ontario RTAK II tops my list as the best all around survival knife for your money. This is a serious knife for a serious survivalist. The Ontario RTAK II is designed to be a work horse for just about any outdoor survival chore.

Here are the stats:

Overall Length: 16.5"
Blade Length: 10.25"
Weight: 2.2 lbs
Price: $120 - $130

Yes, this is a large and heavy knife and many people would say that it is a lot of weight to carry when you are backpacking or exploring. This is a true statement it is a big and bulky blade however it is exactly the type of knife that you will wish you had as soon as you arrive at your destination. The reason that I rate this knife the “ Best Survival Knife For the Money” is because it eliminates the need to carry a hatchet and a knife, it does the job of both. I often carry both a hatchet and a knife with me when I go camping and the combination of those two items weigh far more than this blade does.

Chopping and Batoning Wood

The Ontario RTAK II is one of the best best survival knives that I have used when it comes to batoning and chopping wood for fires or shelters. Batoning or splitting wood is a survival must to conserve energy while prepping fire wood this blade makes short work of these chores it really does split wood as good or better than any field hatchet that I have used. I have a review page with videos that show this in full effect. Once you see how this knife handles you will be hooked.

Keeping an Edge

The edge keeping capabilities on this knife are phenomenal, I have said that with other knives but this one really does a good job with keeping a sharp workable blade even after heavy chopping and cutting chores. The 1095 steel combined with a full flat ground blade make it ideal for keeping an edge and easy to sharpen once the knife looses some of its cutting power.

All in all this is my top choice for best survival knife, priced a about 120 it is well worth it for the capabilities of this blade. It will out preform knives that are two and tree times its price.

I have put together a large comprehensive review of my top choices for Best Survival Knife on the market You will find in depth reviews, photo galleries and review videos on 7 of the best survival knives. Click one of the provided links.

No comments:

Post a Comment